Monday, April 21, 2008

Habari za jioni! (Good Evening!)
One week from today we leave for Africa. A dozen college kids-- what an adventure.
I've tried to imagine what it will be like but I have no idea what to expect. Excitement tinged with some apprehension. I want to know what the scenery will be like, and the other basics-- what's the food like, how warm or cool will it be. But I'm curious to discover things that we'll only find out first hand. Details that we can't be briefed on in a pre-req class or by browsing through a photo album. What are the smells? What does the silence sound like? What is the rhythm of their speech or the feel of the ground? I'm curious to find the similarities and differences between home and there.
Seven more days; we'll soon find out.

2 comments:

Deb and Larry said...

Allison - got your Blog via Ellen Hilger.

Hi Ellen - thanks for your email with the outline of your trip. Since it is Tuesday evening in Appleton WI I am assuming you must be in Tanzania by now. What a wonderful experience for you folks. Will lift up your team in my prayers. Look forward to reading of your adventures - God's blessings! Deb Baumbach

Unknown said...

Dear Allison,
Hey! Your Mom just sent us the link to your trip. We will look forward to hearing all about it and pray for safety and a wonderful time!
Love,
Aunt Mary Lynn